Roger A. Laine
BMB and CDIB Divisions
PhD: Rice University
Phone: (225) 268-3052
Lab Phone: (225) 578-4691/4692
Office: 512 Choppin Hall
Lab: 506/510 Choppin Hall
Area of Interest
Research areas include "Glycobiology", the study of the biological function of complex saccharides, including structural characterization using mass spectrometry and other methods. Cell surface carbohydrates of microbes and eucaryotes are studied with a focus on use of these saccharides for detection by analyte specific probes such as antibodies, lectins and enzymes. Microbial diagnostics, Fungal diagnostics using catalytically disabled endoglycosidase binding assays. Chitin and chitosan enzymology and chemistry. Biochemistry of the inflammatory process.
Current emphasis includes research on several aspects of Formosan Subterranean Termite, including the defense gland components, a novel lysozyme-protease inhibitor protein from the defense fluid and other proteins that resemble lipid-carrying proteins. We also work on analysis of juvenile hormone and other components of the defense fluid, including ceramides containing novel sphingosines. We work on termite and insect-active sesquiterpenes and other natural insect repellants and toxicants, feeding attractants and trail following molecules. Recently we have had extensive research on the effects of rare sugars on the termites and their obligate gut protozoans."
Guo, C, Ghadersohi, S, Kephart, GM, Laine, RA, Sherris, DA, Kita, H, Ponikau, JU, 2012, “Improving the Detection of Fungi in Eosinophilic Mucin: Seeing What We Couldn’t See Before”, Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery 147: 943-949. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22687329.
Laine, RA, Unlap, T, 2012, “IPX-750, A Dopamine Gluconamine That Binds D1/D5 Receptors and Has Anti-Parkinsonian Effects in Three Animal Models, is Transported across the Blood Brain Barrier", Journal of Biotechnology and Biomaterials 2: 5 (2012) ISSN:2155-952X, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2155-952X.1000142
Rosu C, Negulescu I, Cueto R, Laine RA, Daly, WH, 2013, “Synthesis and Characterization of Complex Mixtures Consisting of Cyclic and Linear Polyamides from Ethyl Bis-Ketal Galactarates” J. Macromolecular Sci, Part A, 50: 940-952 DOI: 10.1080/10601325.2013.813795 ISSN:1060-1325
Veillon L, Bourgeois J, 1, LeBlanc A, Henderson G, Marx B, Muniruzzaman S, Laine, RA, 2014, “Myo-Inositol and Phytate are Toxic to Formosan Subterranean Termites (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae), J. of Economic Entomology 107: 1800–1812.
Xue, J., Laine, RA, Matta, K (2014), (epublished online 8/2014) “Enhancing Mass Spectrometry Strategy for Carbohydrate Analysis: Constructing a "B2 Ions" Library as an aid for Novel Relational Search Routines in MSn Analysis” Journal of Proteomics 112: 224-249. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1874391914003741
Horia Negulescu, Youzhong Guo, Thomas P. Garner, Octavia Y. Goodwin, Gregg Henderson, Roger A. Laine, and Megan A. Macnaughtan, 2015, “A Kazal-type serine protease inhibitor from the defense gland secretion of the subterranean termite Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki” PLOS1 10(5): e0125376. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0125376
Zhaorigetu Chen, Roger A. Laine, 2015, Fatty Acids Differ Significantly in Castes of the Formosan Subterranean Termite (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Annals of the Entomological Society of America; doi: 10.1093/aesa/sav117
Rosu, Cornelia , Paul S. Russo, William H. Daly, Rafael Cueto, John A. Pople, Roger A. Laine, and Ioan I. Negulescu (2015) “Sugar-Based Polyamides: Self-Organization in Strong Polar Organic Solvents” Biomacromolecules Article ASAP DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.5b00977
Zheng, J, Wang, M, Wei, W, Keller, JN, Adhikari, B, King, JF, King, ML, Peng, N, and Laine, RA (2016) “Dietary plant lectins appear to be transported from the gut to gain access to and alter dopaminergic neurons of Caenorhabditis elegans, a potential etiology of Parkinson’s disease” Frontiers in Nutrition, - Neuroenergetics and Brain Health 3: 1-16 (doi: 10.3389/fnut.2016.00007)
Zheng J, Gao C, Wang M, Tran P, Mai N, Finley JW, Heymsfield SB, Greenway FL, Li Z, Heber D, Burton JH, Johnson WD & Laine RA (2016): “Lower Doses of Fructose Extend Lifespan in Caenorhabditis elegans”, Journal of Dietary Supplements 14: 264-277, DOI: 10.1080/19390211.2016.1212959
Rosu, Cornelia; Cueto, Rafael; Veillon, Lucas; Laine, Roger; David, Connie; Russo, Paul, (2016), "Discovering Volatile Chemicals from Window Weatherstripping through Solid Phase Microextraction Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy" The Journal of Chemical Education, Manuscript ID: DOI 10.1021/acs.jchemed.6b00791 http://pubs.acs.org/articlesonrequest/AOR-ESEpNa4DgX9V8GQIITJQ
Grimball B, Veillon L, Calhoun T, Fronczek FR, Arceneaux E, and Laine, RA (2017) Cyclohexylamine Inexplicably Induces Antennae Loss in Formosan Subterranean Termites (Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki): Cyclohexylamine Hydrogen Phosphate Salts are Novel Termiticides, Pest Management Science 73: 2039-2047 ((wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI 10.1002/ps.4610).
Namrata Karki N, Sita Aggarwal S, Laine RA, Greenway F, Losso JN, (2017) Juglone modulates intracellular level of reactive oxygen species and suppresses pancreatic cancer cell proliferation by inhibiting the KRAS-driven signaling pathways. Phytomedicine (in review)
Namrata Karki, Sita Aggarwal, Frank Greenway, Roger A. Laine, Jack N. Losso, (2017) Juglone down-regulates the Akt-HIF- 1α and VEGF signaling pathways and inhibits angiogenesis in pancreatic cancer in vitro. (Phytomedicine (in review)
M. Miyazaki,T. Nishimura,W. Hojo,T. Miyazaki,R.A. Laine,T. Yamashita (2017) Potential use of domestic cat (Felis catus) urinary extracts for manipulating the behavior of free-roaming cats and wild small felids. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 196, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2017.07.003 available online.
Patents (out of 31 total):
1. •Srnka, C, Laine RA, Gilbert J., 1991, Compositions and methods for preventing and treating rotaviral infections: US Patent #5053406-A.
2. • Abbas, SA, Nashed, MA, Dasgupta, F, Srnka, CA, Laine RA, 1991, “Synthesis of rotavirus receptor saccharides”, WO/1991/008748, International Application PCT/US1990/007121.
3. • Dasgupta, F, Srnka, CA, Laine, RA, 1991, “Synthetic receptor molecules recognizable by rotavirus”, WO/1991/008747, International Application PCT/US1990/007120.
4. •Brandley, BK, Lam, LH, Laine, RA, 1991, Heparin Fragments as Inhibitors of Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation: US Patent #5032679
5. •Laine, RA, Jaynes, JM, Ou, CY , 1994, Molecular Clone: Chitinase Gene from Vibrio Parahemolyticus ,US Patent #5, 352,607
6. •HE Conrad, P Fugedi, B Brandley, LH. Lam, RA. Laine, January, 1995, Sulfated Polysaccharides as Inhibitors of Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation, US Patent # 5,380,716
7. •Laine RA and E Yoon, 1995, Synthetic Oligosaccharides as Anti-inflammatory Precursors: US Patent Number #5,426,178
8. •Laine, RA and J YC Lo, 1996, Diagnosis of Fungal Infections with a Chitinase, US Patent #5,587,292
9. •Laine, RA and Chin-Yih Ou, 1997, “Thermostable, Salt Tolerant Wide pH Range Novel Chitobiase, 92A5.2”, US Patent #5,693,519.
10. •Laine, RA and Chin-Yih Ou, 1997, “Thermostable, Salt Tolerant Wide pH Range Novel Chitobiase”, US Patent #5,602,020.
11. •Laine RA, Eunsun Yoon, U.S. Patent 5,618,705 - 1997, Synthesis of anti-inflammatory compounds and novel trisaccharides useful in the synthesis of anti-inflammatory compounds.
12. •Laine RA, U.S. Patent 5,714,587, 1998, Synthesis of anti-inflammatory compounds and novel trisaccharides useful in the synthesis of anti-inflammatory compounds.;
13. •Laine RA, US Patent No. 5,914,239, 6/22/ 1999, "Diagnosis of Fungal Infections and a Chitin Binding Lectin useful in such Diagnosis".
14. •Laine RA and WC Jennifer Lo, U.S. Patent Serial No. 5,935,804, 1999, "Method for Detecting Eubacteria in Biological Samples with Catalytically Inactive Murein Binding Enzymes"
15. •Henderson G, J. Chen and R.A.Laine, , US Patent # 5,874,097, 1999, Compositions and methods for detecting and killing termites.
16. •Laine, RA and J YC Lo, US Patent #6093552, 2000, Diagnosis of Fungal Infections with a Chitinase.
17. •Laine RA and WCJ Lo, U.S. Patent #6,090,573: 2000, , Detecting Eubacteria and Fungus and Determining Their Antibiotic Sensitivity by Using Catalytically Inactive Murein Binding Enzymes
18. •Laine RA, US Patent No. 6,121,420, 2000, "Diagnosis of Fungal Infections, and a Chitin-Binding Lectin Useful in Such Diagnoses"
19. •Laine RA, Jennifer Lo; Wai Chun, 2000, “Murein binding polypeptide and antibiotic diagnostic reagents, methods and kits for detecting eubacteria and fungus in biological samples.” United States Patent 6,159,719
20. •Laine RA. , Lo; Wai Chun.Jennifer , 2001, ”Isolation and purification of eubacteria and fungus with catalytically inactive murein binding enzymes”, United States Patent 6,184,027
21. •Henderson; Gregg, Chen; Jian, Laine; Roger A., 2002, " Compositions and methods for detecting and killing termites" United States Patent 6,352,703
22. •Henderson, Gregg, Heumann, Donald O., Laine, Roger A., Maistrello, Lara, Zhu, Betty C.R., Chen, Feng, Extracts of vetiver oil as repellent and toxicant to ants, ticks, and cockroaches. US Patent Application #20030073748 Filing Date: April 17, 2003 Categories: Entomology
23. • Henderson, G, Zhu, B.C-R., Laine, Roger A., 2003, “Extracts of Vetiver Oil as a Repellent and Toxicant to Termites, European Patent #1221854.
24. • Henderson, G, Zhu, B.C-R., Laine, Roger A., 2005, “Extracts of Vetiver Oil as Termite Repellent and Toxicant, US Patent #6890960.
25. • Zhu, BCR, G Henderson and RA Laine, 2005, "Dihydronootkatone and Tetrahydronootkatone as Repellents to Arthropods, US Patent #6897244.
26. • Sauer, A, Crowe, W, Laine, RA, Henderson, G, 2006, Efficient and economic asymmetric synthesis of nootkatone, tetrahydronootkatone, their precursors and derivatives, US Patent #7,112,700.
27. • Henderson, G, SA Ibrahim, R. Patton, R.A. Laine, BCR Zhu and F Chen, "Naphthalene Derivatives as Termite Repellents and Toxicants” US Patent #7351744, April 1, 2008.
28. • Laine, RA, Henderson G, Calhoun, T., Muniruzzaman, S., Veillon, L, 2008, “Novel Insecticidal Agents Containing Carbohydrate Moieties And Methods Of Their Preparation And Use” Provisional Patent filed.
29. • Laine, RA, Henderson G, Calhoun, T., Muniruzzaman, S., Veillon, L., 2014, Inositol and Inositol Phosphates as Termiticides (provisional patent filed)
30. Laine, R.A., 2015, “Reaction Sequence for the Synthesis of Nootkatone, Dihydronootkatone and Tetrahydronootkatone” U.S. Patent Application No. 62/265,723.
31. Laine, RA, Veillon, L, Henderson, G., 2017, “Cyclohexylamine-based Compounds and Uses Thereof, US Patent Application Serial number 62/309,143.