Helmut Schneider received his Ph.D. from the Free University of Berlin . He taught statistics at the Free University in Berlin from 1978 to 1983. He visited the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. In the Fall of 1985, Professor Schneider joined the College of Business Administration, now called the E. J. Ourso College of Business. Since 1994 he has been the chairman of the Information Systems and Decision Sciences Department at Louisiana State University. He has published two books and over 50 articles in refereed journals and is a member of several professional organizations including the Association for Information Systems, the Information Systems Audit and Control Associations, the American Statistical Association and the American Society for Quality. He teaches courses in quality management, systems auditing and statistics.
- PhD Operations Management and Statistics, Free University of Berlin
- MS Mathematics, Technical University of Darmstadt
- ISDS 7302 - Analytics II: Predictive analytics in business; business cases in predictive analytics; data mining use in business; industry solutions for predictive analytics.
- Teaching Interests: Statistics, Analytics, Business Intelligence, Website Development
- Research Interests: Highway Safety, Analytics, statistics, data mining, causal inference
Selected Research Publications
- Kelle, P., Schneider, H., and Yi, H. (2014). Decision alternatives between expected cost minimization and worst case scenario in emergency supply. International Journal of Production Economics, 157, 250 to 260.
- Soysal, O., Chen, J., and Schneider, H. (2012). Efficient Photometric Feature Extraction in a Hierarchical Learning Scheme for Nodule Detection. The International Journal of Granular Computing, Rough Sets and Intelligent System, 2(4), 314-326.
- Kelle, P., Schneider, H., Raschke, C. Werner, and Shirazi, H. (2012). Highway improvement project selection by the joint consideration of cost-benefit and risk criteria. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 64, 313-325.
- Kelle, P., Woosley, J., and Schneider, H. (2012). Pharmaceutical supply chain specifics and inventory solutions for a hospital case. Operations Research for Health Care, 1(1), 54-63.
- Shreve, J. Nunnery, Schneider, H., and Soysal, O. (2011). A Methodology for Comparing Classification Methods through the Assessment of Model Stability and Validity in Variable Selection. Decision Support Systems.
- Schneider, H. (2010). 2009 Louisiana Traffic Records Report.
- Walsh, K., Ives, B., Louwers, T., and Schneider, H. (2006). An Exploratory Survey of Password Re-Usage. Journal of Forensic Accounting, VII(1), 237-244.
- Chun, Y. H., Plante, R., and Schneider, H. (2002). Buying and Selling an Asset Over the Finite Time Horizon: A Non-parametric Approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 136, 106-120.
- Wang, X. and Schneider, H. (2017, August). Does Ride Sharing have Social Benefits?. Presented at AMCIS 2017 sponsored by , Boston .
- Wang, X. and Schneider, H. (2016, November). Five Steps to big Data Analytics. Presented at DSI 2016 sponsored by , .
- Wang, X. and Schneider, H. (2016, November). Five Steps to big Data Analytics. Presented at INFORMS 2016 sponsored by , .
- Kelle, P., Claypool, C. David, and Schneider, H. (2016, August). Evaluation of Sustainability Tradeoffs in Multimodal Freight Transportation Planning. Presented at ISIR Symposium sponsored by International Society of Inventory Research, Budapest, Hungary.
- Kelle, P., Claypool, C. David, and Schneider, H. (2016, February). Evaluating Tradeoffs in Intermodal Freight Transportation Development. Presented at International Working Seminar on Production Economics sponsored by ISIR, Innsbruck, Austria.
- Van Scotter, J. and Schneider, H. (2013, October). Teaching Business Analytics: Lessons Learned. Presented at INFORMS 2013 sponsored by Institute for Operations Resarch & Management Science, Minneapolis, MN.
- Van Scotter, J. and Schneider, H. (2013, October). Teaching Business Analytics: Lessons Learned. Presented at INFORMS Annual Conference 2013 sponsored by Institute for Operations Research & Management Science, Minneapolis.
- Schneider, H. (2012, October). Determining Black Spots for Local Roads. Presented at International Traffic Conference sponsored by ATSIP, Biloxi, Miss.
- Soysal, O., Schneider, H., and Hutchinson, C. (2011, ). A GIS System to Identify Problem Locations and Support Enforcement Deployment. Presented at ESRI International User Conference 2011 sponsored by , .
- Van Scotter, J., Perez-Mira, B., Schwarz, A., Wiley-Patton, S., and Schneider, H. (2009, November). WEB SITE BUSINESS MODELS, TRUST, AND OBJECTIVE OUTCOMES. Presented at Decision Sciences Institute 2009 Meeting sponsored by Decision Sciences Institute, New Orleans, LA.
- Wang, X., Marzoughi Ardakani, H., and Schneider, H. (2017). Does Ride Sharing have Social Benefits?. In Proceedings of 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2017.
- Soysal, O., Li, P., Schneider, H., Donepudi, H., Kondoju, N., and Sekeroglu, K. (2012). Online Geographic Information Systems Based Iconic Visual Query and Information Visualization Framework for Exploratory Data Analysis. In 11th International Conference on Information and Knowledge Engineering (IKE'12) in WORLDCOMP'12.
- Soysal, O., Schneider, H., Shrestha, A., Guempel, C., Li, P., Donepudi, H., Kondoju, N., and Sekeroglu, K. (2012). Zonal Statistics to Identify Hot-regions of Traffic Accidents. In 9th International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Methods (MSV'12) in WORLDCOMP'12.
Employed by LSU since